Vision Direct is supporting Fight for Sight, the main charity in the UK dedicated to funding research preventing sight loss and treating eye diseases.
Donate just 50 or 99 pence to Fight for Sight when making an online purchase for eye care products such as contact lenses. It is easy to do – just one click when you check out. The goal is to donate £20,000. A counter measuring the current donations is available online.
About Fight for Sight
- Fight for Sight estimates that almost 2 million people in the UK and over 285 million worldwide are affected by sight loss.
- Age-related causes of visual impairment and blindness are increasing, as is blindness, due to uncontrolled diabetes. Fight for Sight is determined to improve these statistics and create a future everyone can see.
- Since 1965 the charity has been raising funds to support pioneering research to prevent sight loss and treat eye conditions.
- Over the next few years the goal is to commit £20 million to fund the highest standard of eye research, which will help to reduce the number of children and adults affected by blindness.
- As a member of the Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC) Fight for sight complies with their guidelines on peer review and all research applications are assessed by a scientific panel and international leaders in relevant fields.
Achievements by Fight for Sight
- The research funded saved the sight of thousands of premature babies through understanding and controlling levels of oxygen delivery.
- Restoring sight by establishing the UK Corneal Transplant Service enabling over 52,000 corneal transplants to take place.
- Funding the research leading to the world’s first clinical trial for choroideremia.
- Bringing hope to children with inherited eye disease by helping to fund the team responsible for the world’s first gene therapy clinical trial.
- Identifying new genes responsible for keratoconus and Nance-Horan syndrome.
- Developing a new genetic test based on next generation DNA sequencing technology allowing more patients a definitive diagnosis for inherited eye conditions.
- Registered charity number: 1111438
According to Fight for sight, eye research is underfunded because fatal diseases win the fight for government and charity funding. The organisation therefore is entirely dependent on voluntary donations – such as those raised through Vision Direct. Please support Fight for sight through Vision Direct and help make sight loss a thing of the past!